Go TO Content

Welcom To Working Holiday

Working Holiday-FAQs


Q1. Do foreigners coming to Taiwan on a working holiday need to apply for a work permit from the Ministry of Labor?
A1. No, there is no need to apply for a work permit from the Ministry of Labor. The working holiday visa issued by ROC embassies or missions is deemed to be a work permit; thus, the visa holder may enter the country and be recruited to work.


Q2. What standards apply to foreigners on a working holiday?
A2. As stipulated in Article 4 of the Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers, an entry visa held by a foreign worker is deemed as a work permit, as long as the visa has been granted on the basis of an international written agreement which specifies the work permit, the number of workers, and the period of residence (stay) but whose primary purpose does not concern work in Taiwan. The period granted as a work permit shall not exceed one year.


Q3. Do youth working holidaymakers need to comply with Article 46 of the Employment Services Act, which specifies that a foreign worker may only be employed to engage in certain activities within Taiwan?
A3. In line with the policy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Labor does not limit the type of work that the youth may engage in during the working holiday in Taiwan, although the work may still be limited by other provisions. Any relevant bilateral agreements between the Republic of China (Taiwan) and a foreign working holidaymaker’s country should be reviewed for other applicable limitations or restrictions, while provisions stipulated by other competent authorities may also apply. For instance, the Ministry of Education stipulates provisions governing those working in cram schools, and specifying that medical staff should be qualified for practice, and that guides in the tourism industry should be qualified, licensed or registered as tour leaders.


Q4. How do foreign workers apply for labor insurance coverage?
A4. The employer (“insured unit”) who hires the foreign worker (“insured persons”) should be responsible for the labor insurance coverage. The employer should complete an insurance application form and submit it to the Bureau of Labor Insurance together with copies of the laborer’s work permit and associated documents as approved by the central competent authority or other relevant competent authority. For the enrollment documents required for the labor insurance scheme, please see the Bureau of Labor Insurance website at http://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=etXW4E8nTI4%3d.


Q5. Why is the labor insurance premium categorized into two types: ordinary insurance and occupational accident insurance? How much do employers and employees each have to pay?
A5. To improve health and safety in the workplace, reduce the occurrence of occupational accidents and ensure that employers act responsibly, the Labor Insurance Act specifically categorizes labor insurance coverage into two types, ordinary insurance and occupational accident insurance. For the premium of the ordinary insurance, individuals (those working for a specific employer, employers actually engaged in work and trainees at occupational training institutions) pay 20 percent of the total, the insured unit pays 70 percent and the government 10 percent. The premium of occupational accident insurance shall be paid entirely by the insured unit.


Q6. How is insured salary determined for foreigners coming to Taiwan on a working holiday?
A6. Insured salary is determined by the total monthly salary. The insured unit should report an insured person’s monthly salary in accordance with the Table of Grades of Insurance Salary: http://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=ElgXn8JyGf4%3d.


Q7. How should employers insure employees or withdraw such insurance?
A7. Labor insurance adopts a reporting system; employers should complete an insurance enrollment or withdrawal form based on an employee’s start date or resignation date and submit it to the Bureau of Labor Insurance for processing. Such insurance becomes effective starting from midnight (00:00) of the day the insured unit sent or posted the enrollment form to the Bureau, and is withdrawn from midnight (24:00) of the date the insured unit sent or posted the withdrawal form to the Bureau. If sent via post, the day the form was posted shall be based on the postmark of the sending post office.


Q8. I have not claimed any labor insurance benefits. Can I apply for a refund of the labor insurance premium that I have previously paid?
A8. Insured persons benefit from the protection rendered by labor insurance during the coverage period. The premium has been paid and cannot be refunded.


Q9. What kind of labor insurance benefits can foreign working holidaymakers apply for?
A9. Foreign working holidaymakers shall participate in the labor insurance scheme as required by the law, after which if any contingency occurs as covered by the insurance during the coverage period, an insured person or beneficiary may claim insurance payments in accordance with the provisions of the law. Ordinary insurance provides five kinds of benefits payable in cash: maternity benefits; injury or sickness benefits; permanent disability benefits; old-age benefits; and survivor benefits. Occupational accident insurance provides injury or sickness benefits, permanent disability benefits, survivor benefits (including an allowance for persons declared missing) and medical benefits. For further information please visit the Bureau of Labor Insurance website at: http://www.bli.gov.tw/en/sub.aspx?a=cHVoa5l2xNw%3d.